Devon Almarinez hails from the streets of the San Francisco Bay Area. His passion for art started as a teenager and continued after graduating from the University of San Francisco. He brought his creative skills on the road traveling around the US with celebrities and entrepreneurs creating custom artwork for them in multiple formats from tattoos and merchandise to street art. His work has been featured in magazines, TV shows and public spaces across the US and internationally. While working and developing celebrity branding and design, he realized his passion for expression through mixed-media urban contemporary works of popular culture, would be an exciting future in art.
Urban art, in its many expressive forms, has become inextricably linked with the world of music and Hollywood entertainment. Bring the reverberating echoes of contemporary urban art of the street into the studio, and paintings erupt that are highly energetic and theatrically charged with personality.
Devon ever confident of his background in graphic design, creates portraits with a collaged career summarization, all while conveying his reverence for celebrity icons. As an intuitive creative, this self-taught painter, aims to document their societal contributions, and create an homage to the icon while inciting the audience to explore and learn more about them. Maintaining the integrity of the person is paramount to Devon’s work as he displays their all too often forgotten biographical highlights on canvas. Pasted fragments of career attributes along with a medley of photographs, create a condensed conversational composition of a person who achieved great cultural accomplishments.
During his exhaustive research Devon builds a close relationship with each character, symbolic in his intimate aesthetic of conveying the complexities of the subject’s persona with detailed visual art. The artists’ treatment of these memorable stars makes them captivating and accessible to the viewer, exposing them in layers of ephemeral biographical graffiti, Devon’s notes of admiration. A confidently arranged, interactive graphic medley portrays the personification of celebrity in character, viewers will discover something new each time they contemplate this mélange of memorabilia.
Devon’s portraits, framed in a festive gathering of graffiti and marks, create a high-keyed atmosphere reminiscent of a life in the spotlight. The artist brings to bear a myriad of learned studio techniques; his unique design influenced style combines splatter painting, screen-printing, squeegee art, and graphic design into “organized chaos,” much like the chaos of our technological world.
A graphic fluidity and spontaneity develops throughout his art, they are busy yet balanced, there is no set formula, but rather a cultivated variation to the incorporation of appropriated ephemera surrounding the iconic portrait. The graffitiesque excerpts, collaged in the background delivers a message conveying the complexities of the subject and their career. How beautifully informative each tableau is, the collaged, textured and splattered biography of a luminary invites discovery.
One can appreciate Devon’s many forms of creativity on canvas, his noted individualism and the unique theatrically of his work. Where Devon’s work greatly succeeds is in his openness, allowing the viewer’s emotional connection for the subject to influence the interpretation of the work.
• NewPOP Exhibit – Stockholm, Sweden Clarion Hotel Amaranten ( March 1-2, 2018 )
• Making Art with Noise Exhibition – Collaboration with Scorpions / Motorhead rockstar Mikkey Dee – Gothenburg, Sweden Gallery By J ( February 24, 2018 )
• Art Palm Springs – Palm Springs Convention Center – Palm Springs, CA – The McLoughlin Gallery ( January 16 – 19, 2018 )
• LA Art Show: Modern + Contemporary – LA Convention center, Los Angeles, CA – The McLoughlin Gallery ( January 10 – 14, 2018 )
• Expressen GT – Patrik Sjoberg history with art Article: www.expressen.se/gt/sport/sjobergs-pengakamp-det-ar-massa-minnen/ ( November 25, 2017 )
• Slice of Life – Debut exhibition – Gothenburg, Sweden ( November 25, 2017 )
• Best Buddies – Superhero Gala – Art Auction – Rio hotel – Las Vegas, NV ( November 10, 2017 )
• Fox 5 All Access interview – Las Vegas NV ( Aired: March 18, 2017 & March 22, 2017 )
• NEW POP Exhibition- Caesars Palace – Forum Shops, Las Vegas, NV – Gallery of Music and Art ( March 18, 2017 )
• Miami Art Fair Collection Show Gallery of Music and Art ( December 20, 2016 – January 1, 2017 )
• Crowd Pleasers – The McLoughlin Gallery in San Francisco, CA ( December 15, 2016 – January 21, 2017 )
• Red Dot Miami Gallery of Music and Art ( December 6 – 10, 2016 )
• Devon Almarinez Showcase – Caesars Palace – Forum Shops, Las Vegas NV – Gallery of Music and Art ( October 8, 2016 )
• Art Market San Francisco art fair – Fort Mason Center in San Francisco, CA
• The McLoughlin Gallery ( April 27 – May 1, 2016 ) LuxPOP Exhibition – Co-debut art show with Bruce Makowsky during Super Bowl week
at the McLoughlin Gallery in San Francisco, CA ( Exhibit: February 4th – March 19th – 2016 )
• Vernon Davis’s Gallery 85 on Santana Row in San Jose, CA ( 2014 – 2015 )
• Vernon Davis’s Foundation for the Arts billboards on Santana Row in San Jose, CA 2 custom designed billboards totalling in 35 feet in length. ( 2014 – 2015 )
• Floyd Mayweather’s bodyguards wearing The Great Wall – TGW artwork by Devon Almarinez – Showtime : Mayweather vs. Berto – Epilogue All Access 00:23 – 00:26, 3:50-3:52, 3:54-4:03, 6:11-6:23, 13:20-13:25, 15:15-15:17, 15:19 ( September 19, 2015 )
• Floyd Mayweather’s bodyguards wearing The Great Wall – TGW artwork by Devon Almarinez – Showtime : Mayweather vs. Berto – Episode 3 All Access 8:56-8:57 ( September 11, 2015 )
• Floyd Mayweather’s bodyguards wearing The Great Wall – TGW artwork by Devon Almarinez – Showtime : Mayweather vs. Berto – Episode 1 All Access 6:15-6:19, 9:49-9:58, 10:09, 16:02-16:19 ( August 30th 2015 )
• Invite to show new 49ers head coach Jim Tomsula 49er charity artwork Levi’s Stadium Santa Clara, CA ( August 9, 2015)
• Devon Almarinez – Floyd Mayweather Street Art – Showtime : INSIDE MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO – Episode 3 All Access 20:08-20:26 ( April 29, 2015 )
• Filmed on Rich Kids of Beverly Hills on E! Club Chateau – Las Vegas, NV presented a custom canvas to billionaire Dorothy Wang ( March 28, 2015)
• On display at Lisa Vanderpump’s PUMP restaurant in West Hollywood, CA – Lisa placed canvas on wall herself. ( January 27, 2015)
• Levi’s Stadium debut Invite by 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh – Santa Clara, CA – Delivered 49er artwork in the middle of the 49er football field to Harbaugh.
( August 19, 2014)
• KRAVE the unexpected Art & Wine Event in Sonoma, CA – Silent Auction ( July 12, 2014) – Taste of the Warriors celebrity event at the Oracle Arena. Oakland, CA – Silent Auction ( March 10, 2014) – The Journey -Gallery 85 – San Jose, CA
• Gallery 85 ( March 3, 2014 )
PRIVATE AND PUBLIC COLLECTIONS
Lisa Vanderpump – PUMP restaurant, Hollywood, CA
MGM museum – Art of Floyd Mayweather
World Boxing Champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore
49er legend Roger Craig
Steve Smith of Journey & Vital Information
Carl Palmer of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Asia, Atomic Rooster & Qango 3